Tony Lendrum, BA (Hons) LLB, AAMINZ Panel Member (Mediation)
2014 – 2017
Tony was appointed a District Court Judge with a Family Court warrant.
He was also appointed a National Resource Judge for civil judicial settlement conferences. In that capacity he dealt with a wide range of civil litigation disputes as well as BORA and Christchurch earthquake mediations.
Tony convened approximately 170 settlement conferences in both jurisdictions.
Within six months of becoming a Judge Tony was also appointed as one of a three member faculty teaching judicial settlement conference mediation to District Court Judges in the Institute of Judicial Studies programme. This seminar achieved record approval ratings from its attendees.
Tony compiled the report on judicial settlement conferences for the District Court’s Annual Report in 2017.
Tony had the opportunity of remaining a District Court and Family Court Judge for up to a further five years. However he chose to return to private mediation because of his:
• Long-term experience in legal dispute resolution; and
• Conviction that private, confidential mediation, with an experienced mediator, offers the best possible option for settlement to parties in dispute.
2005 – 2013
Mediator Barrister (one of only three full time barrister mediators in New Zealand)
Convened in excess of 820 mediations during this period.
Mediator and barrister
Convened 120 mediations while practicing as a barrister specialising in family law.
Attended CDR Mediation Training at Bolder Colorado, USA
Attended Haynes Mediation Institute in New York.
Tony is, and was;
• An Associate of AMINZ.
• Made an associate on joining the institute as a reflection of his mediation history and record.
• Appointed extensively by the Family Court to conduct mediations for that Court.
• A speaker at various family conferences, seminars and specialist professional development
programmes including for AMINZ.
• An assessor for the key evaluative part of the successful NZLS/Massey University Mediator Training Programme for family lawyers, from its inception until his judicial appointment.
• An initial mediator panel member for the Franchise Association New Zealand.